buying clothes for your premature or tiny baby
If your little one arrives early or is simply on the small side, they may be too tiny for standard newborn clothes. Mothercare offers a premature range designed with the help of midwives and parents. As well as fitting your tiny newborn snugly, these clothes are all made from cotton and have simple, soft touch fastenings.
You and your baby will probably be cared for in hospital for a while and shopping will be one of the last things on your mind, or your little one’s early arrival might be unexpected, so you don’t have the right clothes ready. Use the next-day delivery service to make sure that your tiny baby has a cosy and comfy layette.
Premature baby clothes come in these sizes:
- 3lb premature (up to 1.4kg)
- 4lb premature (up to 1.8kg)
shopping for baby shoes
At around one-year-old is now up for some on their feet exploring (although probably still a bit wobbly), so it’s time to get fitted for that first pair of shoes but make sure their first footwear is soft, flexible and not at all restrictive If your little walker is reluctant to have their feet measured in the shoe shop, try our handy shoe size chart at home. Choose socks with grippy soles for indoor cruising.
dressing your toddler and pre-schooler
Your boy or girl toddler may be happily indifferent to what they wear. But as they get a bit older, they’ll probably develop firm favourites, so it’s worth investing in spares.
Clothes can take a real battering at this age as your busy toddler explores their world. This is also when their imaginations really start to develop, so welcome to the days of fancy dress. The wellies-and-princess-dress combo is ever popular.
Clothes shopping with toddlers and small children can be challenging (thank goodness for online shopping). Here’s a guide to clothes sizes for this age group:
- 12-18 months (up to 86cm height, 50.5cm chest, 51cm waist, 54cm hips)
- 18-24 months (up to 92cm height, 53cm chest, 52cm waist, 56cm hips)
- 2-3 years (up to 98cm height, 55.5cm chest, 53.5cm waist, 58cm hips)
- 3-4 years (up to 104cm height, 57cm chest, 54cm waist, 60cm hips)
- 4-5 years (up to 110cm height, 58.5cm chest, 54.5cm waist, 62.3cm hips)
- 5-6 years (up to 116cm height, 60cm chest, 55cm waist, 64.5cm hips)
And our toddler girls clothes here >>
older child chic
Primary school-age children start out as notoriously reluctant shoppers, but by the time they’re a bit older, both boys and girls have very definite ideas of what they want to wear.
The good news is that their rapid growth has slowed down and you won’t be replacing their wardrobe every few months. However, as your child becomes more fashion-conscious, they’ll probably want you to. They’ll be spending a lot of time in school uniform, so invest in hard-wearing, easily-washable garments.
The sizes for this broad age range are:
- 3 years (98cm height, 55.5cm chest, 53.5cm waist, 58cm hips)
- 4 years (104cm height, 57cm chest, 54cm waist, 60cm hips)
- 5 years (110cm height, 58.5cm chest, 54.5cm waist, 62.3cm hips)
- 6 years (116cm height, 60cm chest, 55cm waist, 64.5cm hips)
- 7 years (122cm height, 62.3cm chest, 57cm waist, 67.3cm hips)
- 8 years (128cm height, 64.5cm chest, 59cm waist, 70cm hips)
- 9 years (134cm height, 66.8cm chest, 60.5cm waist, 73cm hips)
- 10 years (140cm height, 69cm chest, 62cm waist, 76cm hips)